- Art Workshops 2023
- Past Workshops 2022
- Learning to See - Drawing Workshop for Beginners, Gympie, January
Learning to See - Drawing Workshop for Beginners, Gympie, January
Unfortunately this workshop has recently been cancelled due to the venue not being able to accept unvaccinated guests.
Please contact Jan to discuss the possibility of attending her studio instead. All welcome!
Saturday 22 and Sunday 23 January
Gympie Regional Gallery
39 Nash St, Gympie
9am – 4pm each day
Using easy exercises and an accelerated method of learning, you will develop an artistic ability that you may not have thought possible by developing the art of really 'seeing'.
This weekend workshop is designed for beginners or anyone desiring a solid foundation in drawing skills. Many of the exercises are based on the techniques of Kimon Nicolaides of the Art Students' League of New York, as well as Betty Edwards’s book, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.
Techniques covered include:
- Gesture, mass and contour drawing
- Negative and positive space
- Different ways of measuring proportions
- Tone and form
- Creating different edge qualities
- Shading with different grades of pencils
- Artists quality sketch pad (size A4 or larger) Please don’t bring the Mont Marte sketch pads. Alternatively, sheets of cartridge paper or printer paper will also suffice.
- Graphite (lead) pencils – B, 2B, 4B, 6B
- Fine black felt pen
- Kneadable eraser
- Pencil sharpener
- A very smooth board slightly larger than your paper and something to prop up one end so you can work at an angle.
- Please also bring along a couple of “dud” photographs (to use under your drawing hand to prevent smudging) or a sheet of acetate etc.
- BYO snacks, lunch and drinks
Please BOOK HERE and go to Eventfinda: